Wednesday 25 May 2005

Virtual Girls' Nightout

Stel of Baby Rambutan invited all bloggers for a virtual girls' night out a few weeks ago. How could one refuse? It's complete sacrilege to break my vow to party at a drop of a hat so here I am sashaying to my dance music ready to drink, eat and be merry at Stel's place. Let's parteh parteh partehhh !!

I want to sing in the karaoke so I better drink up. You know my vocal chords don't work when not lubricated by some alcoholic drink. Hic! And y'all better drink up, too. I don't want any complaints of broken ear drums when I sing. Hehehe! ;) Oh by the way, I brought these treats for us to partake ... care to join us?

Cheers mates!

I've got Sangria and some finger foods - Pinchitos Morunos and Tortilla Chilli Cheese. Actually, I also cooked Albondigas al Azafran (Meatballs with Saffron). But I think I put too much saffron and none of us really liked it. So down the bin it got chucked.



Sangria

1 bottle red wine
2 cups club soda or ginger ale
3 Tbsp sugar
1/4 cup white rum or gin (optional)
slices of unwaxed lemon and/or oranges
chopped fresh fruits (apples, pears, strawberries, pineapples, etc.)
ice cubes
  1. Chill red wine and club soda.
  2. Combine all liquid ingredients in a jug.
  3. Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
  4. Add lemon, chopped fruits, and ice cubes. Serve cold.

Sorry, I overcooked most of this tapas. Actually I forgot it in the oven grill. Good thing it's not completely charred. ;) In the second batch I finally got it right though it got eaten right away that's why only the burnt ones were pictured. But this was really very tasty and I'm sure the Filipino palate would like these. Adapted from Pepita Aris' Spanish Cooking cookbook.


Pinchitos Morunos
(Spicy Moorish Kebabs)

500 g  pork - sliced thinly (or in small cubes - your choice)
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp mild curry
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp ground coriander seeds
1 tsp paprika
freshly ground pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
  1. Mash garlic in a mortar with the salt. Transfer in a container and mix in all the other ingredients except pork. Combine well.
  2. Add pork slices and mix well. Marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
  3. Skewer pork pieces in barbecue sticks.
  4. Grill in barbecue or oven grill. Cook in high heat for about 4 minutes each side.


This is an appetiser I often see in Mexican or American style restaurants and often have salsa, guacamole, and sour cream instead of chilli con carne. Very easy to make that even my kids can do it.


Chilli Cheese Nachos

plain or ready salted tortilla chips
chilli con carne or salsa
grated cheddar cheese
  1. Put tortilla chips in a wide shallow plate or container.
  2. Spread evenly the chilli con carne on top.
  3. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top.
  4. Grill briefly under a hot oven grill/broiler until cheese is melted. Serve.

No comments: