Saturday 21 January 2006

VRC 2: Morning Glory Muffins

Morning Glory Muffins
I chanced upon an entry in the IMBB portal of a monthly virtual recipe club (VRC) initiated and hosted by Alysha of The Savory Notebook. The current theme is wholegrain quick breads and muffins. And I thought - wa-hey! I've got one already! I got this from the Great American Food cookbook by Leslie Allen which in turn was adapted from a recipe from the Morning Glory Cafe on Nantucket Island, USA. Well I don't know if this classifies as whole grain but it sure got lots of fiber in it and it's not sweet - perfect for breakfast. If you want this as a dessert or sweet snack type of muffin, you'll have to increase the sugars or crown it with some icing such as a cream cheese one.

Now why did I dream of making this? As you know, my cupboards were inventoried early this year for soon-to-expire items then I had lots of surplus carrots in the fridge which convinced me to try this. I didn't regret that decision. It's healthy enough to be hated by my kids ;). So I'm hogging them all for my lonesome self every morning (husband not fond of cakes or muffins).

I'm delighted with this post because besides that this is more on the healthy side in relation to my regular baking recipes, I'm actually submitting this almost a week from the deadline. Mrs. Always Late is way ahead on time at this instance. :)



Morning Glory Muffins

75 g  [1/2 cup] raisins or sultanas
2 Tbsp rum
250 g  carrots - peeled
1 apple - peeled and cored
110 g  [1/2 cup] firmly packed dark brown sugar
55 g  [1/4 cup] caster sugar (superfine)
140 g  [1 cup] self-raising wholemeal flour
150 g  [1 cup] self-raising flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1/2 tsp salt
40 g  [1/2 cup] sweetened dessicated coconut
55 g  [1/2 cup] chopped pecans
3 large eggs - beaten
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C/fan 170°C/gas mark 5.
  2. Grease or line with paper cases 3-inch diameter muffin pans.
  3. Boil the sultanas in the rum in a small saucepan. Once it boils, remove from heat and let cool.
  4. Shred the carrots and apple in a food processor or grate in a hand grater.
  5. Combine the eggs, vanilla, and oil in a small bowl. Whisk lightly. Set aside.
  6. Mix the sugars, flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
  7. Add the raisins (with the rum) and toss.
  8. Stir in the carrots, apple, coconut and pecans.
  9. Add in the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
  10. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan and bake for 20 minutes.
  11. Let it cool briefly then serve warm. These actually taste better the next day.

No comments: