Thursday 7 August 2008

Berries Lime Drizzle Cake

Berries Lime Drizzle Cake

This was meant for the last SHF#45 hosted by Susan of Food Blogga. But as expected I forgot that the deadline was last Sunday! Never mind, I'd just like to share this very nice seasonal cake that got better as the days passed. It's not one that is to be eaten straight from the oven. I did that, after drizzling the lime syrup, and didn't like it at all. It was so sour and the lime syrup was so strong that I was afraid I would have blisters on my tongue. To the bin I was meaning to consign it but after 2 days of lying about on our dining table I tried again and was amazed by how much the flavour mellowed and everything came together. Fab! In fact this is great because it means this will be in the list of my do-ahead cakes which I can do at my leisure instead of being frantic the day before a party. Wonderful!

One of my well-thumbed favourite cake cookbooks, BBC Goodfood Cakes and Bakes, provided the recipe which I adapted. The batter base is of the butter variety and really tasted nice with that tangy lime syrup soaking it. I just wish the fruits were more evenly distributed in the middle rather than all sank at the bottom.



Berries Lime Drizzle Cake

225 g  butter - softened
225 g  caster sugar (superfine)
4 eggs - slightly beaten
250 g  self-raising flour
25 g  ground almonds
1/8 tsp fine salt
1 tsp grated lime zest (optional)
3 Tbsp lime juice
100 g  blueberries
100 g  raspberries

* For the syrup:
6 Tbsp lime juice
100 g  caster sugar (superfine)
  1. Grease and line the base and sides of an 8-inch/20cm square or round cake pan. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/350°F.
  2. Beat the butter with the caster sugar together until light and fluffy.
  3. Continue beating while adding the eggs in a steady stream until fluffy.
  4. Beat in the lime zest (if using) then with a wooden spoon fold in the flour, salt, and ground almonds.
  5. Fold in the lime juice making sure to incorporate it well.
  6. Fold in three-quarters of the raspberries and blueberries.
  7. Pour the batter into the cake pan. Scatter the rest of the berries on top.
  8. Bake for about 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
  9. While the cake is baking, gently heat the lime juice and caster sugar without allowing to bubble.
  10. Once the cake is out of the oven while it is still hot, prick all over with a skewer and spoon the syrup evenly over the top.
  11. Cool completely then turn out from the pan. Store in a covered container and leave to mature for a day (or overnight) before serving.


Berry Lime Drizzle Cake

No comments: